- LEED on East College Street
- Energy Monitoring and Feedback System
- Insulation and Heat Island Reduction
- Sustainable Materials and Energy Star
- Daylighting and High Performance Windows
- On-Demand Hot Water Heaters
- Rainwater Collection and Reduced Water Use
- Renewable Energy
- Local Food Production
- The Tree!
We live in very interesting times in terms of our energy supply. While many things are difficult to forecast, it is clear that our long-term reliance on fossil fuels is unsustainable. We have decided to design the building from the outset to anticipate this future. The building’s energy use will be 100% fossil-fuel free and carbon neutral (with the exception of the natural gas used in the restaurant kitchens). We are purchasing renewable energy credits from hydroelectric projects to offset all electricity use. In the long term we hope that the building will incorporate its own energy generation and that the electricity it does purchase from the City of Oberlin will come from local renewable sources.